In my third season of cycling, seeing how far my bike will take me.


Sunday 8 May 2011

Win

Goodwood 8/5/11:  While Goodwood racing does get a pretty bad press at times, going down to race twice this week has been a big morale boost.  After picking up 10th earlier in the week, I was a bit disappointed with missing the break and was determined to do better.  My legs were feeling shocking on Thursday and Friday and still pretty stiff on Saturday after some hard intervals on Wednesday, possibly getting a little cold between intervals.  I decided to sit in for the first few laps and not waste any energy.  Two riders made a bit of a gap and while I was wheel sucking as much as possible, eventually had to roll through, I pretty quickly flicked the elbow to come off the front- the guy behind me called me something French I think and told me to do some work so I just gradually put some watts down while staying in the saddle and rode across to the two who were away and only Matt Green followed me. 

We maintained a gap for a bit and then started to pull away.  In the last lap, another rider had a dig and I got dropped off the group of four, the other riders then sat up watching each other and I joined back on.  I got a really lovely lead out but knew I had Matt on my wheel so had to dig pretty deep to nudge ahead across the line.  Matt is a quality rider so pleased with the win, his riding made the break work in the first place.

Big thanks particularly to the guys on the development squad for being so supportive (apart from hiding my bike-cheers)-look forward to catching up next weekend!   

No comments:

Post a Comment