In my third season of cycling, seeing how far my bike will take me.


Sunday 15 May 2011

Cutmill

About February time last year I got a sinus infection, just behind my right ear.  Despite being on antibiotics, the infection spiraled out of control, being so close to the brain, and I ended up being rushed to A and E after collapsing in the middle of Eastbourne.  After a week on a drip and I was back and returned to racing quite quickly.  I have been lucky in that I have not any problems since then but on Monday the symptoms fired up again and I have had to have a rather quiet week of training to recover and left it late to decide to ride today at Cutmill.

First time I have done the course and despite leaving home in plenty of time, got pretty lost and arrived 30mins before the start.  Not helpful but still managed to squeeze in a good warm up.  I felt ok through most of the race but then felt a little something behind my ear, didn't feel I was really in a position to get a top 10 and was put in trouble by my seatpost pin breaking on one on the many outrageously big potholes on the course.  I decided to pull out with 1 lap to go.

I must say though, even after racing at this level for two years now, it still amazes me how some riders will chase someone who is trying to make a break away down for absolutely no reason.  While I don't want to brag about having more national points than the whole of Dulwich Paragon at this point in time, I can understand why-bizarre racing.

Down points of the weekends riding:
1/ Incredibly negative racing from some riders, chasing down breaks rather than trying to get in them
2/ Getting sent completely the wrong way by a marshal back to the HQ after the race
3/ After being sent completely the wrong way, asking a local where to go who lived probably less than a mile from the HQ who then sent me the wrong way. Again.
4/ Having rubbish ears

Plus points of the weekends riding:
1/ Legs felt awesome yesterday and Friday
2/ Digging out "The Colour and the shape" by Foo Fighters, singing along all the way there and knowing every word
3/ Talking to lots of riders about possibilities of new teams, all of which sounds very exciting
4/ Ears almost better
5/ Didn't feel too horrendous and at least felt good enough to ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment