In my third season of cycling, seeing how far my bike will take me.


Monday 15 August 2011

Would be grateful if people didn't look at Saturday's TT result...

From having riden the odd time trial (individual race against the clock) over the last few years, the worst bit of an otherwise enjoyable event is waiting for the results and having to make small talk at the end of the race with people you hope you have beaten.  At the same time, I do really like most of these guys and they are also hoping they have beaten me.  Most of the guys are also too modest to say they smashed the ride and we all have a pretty good idea of our times anyway so it is just a rather painful process all round.

Sensible excuses can include:
1/ I had really bad traffic at the roundabouts and had to come to a complete stop
2/ I had a mechanical and couldn't shift gear
3/ The traffic really died down when I was racing so got no draft
4/ The cross-winds really picked up just as I was riding
5/ The dew hadn't burnt off at the time I started
6/ I am using this as a training race and did 5 hours yesterday
7/ I wasn't wearing a skinsuit/using my disc wheel/wearing my aero helmet
8/ I had my tyre pressures too high
9/ I had the wrong gear ratios.  I normally race with a 56 on the front
10/  I am focusing on developing my endurance for my 24hr competition coming up so haven't been working on the power you need for 25miles...

My excuses for Saturday were that my legs were dire and my cornering was still shaky after the previous Sunday.  Think it did me a world of good to throw myself into some bumpy descents on the TT bars and 8th is not a disaster.  The winner started 2 mins behind me and cruised past me on the first lap which was not great for morale but in a week or two I will be flying.  Have a rest week this week so racing Tuesday night and then going for the E/1/2 at Horsmonden on Sunday with only a few sprint sessions in between and a heavy dose of rest after a 17 hr + training week including 3 races last week.  Weight is coming down and am feeling lean-just need some rest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment