In my third season of cycling, seeing how far my bike will take me.


Sunday 26 June 2011

Going for the win

It has been a very frustrating weeks racing; three races where I would have hoped to have done well and taken a win but didn't go to plan.  Certainly not a problem with quality of training, recovery or hunger for racing just a bit of luck would have made a lot of difference.  Just need to be patient. 

Sandhurst-Benenden E/1/2; 18th

One of those days.  Feeling strong but rather frustrating, a day of very negative racing and I ended up spending my energy going for the win on the last lap, at one point I had a lead of about 45 seconds on the chasing group with another rider but he just sat on.  I rolled in at the back of the front group when I knew the win was out of reach when I feel most were still very excited about 2nd place.  Having looked at winning this race for a while and having a bad day, I left thinking what if I had done things differently and perhaps been more or less aggressive in my racing...perhaps!

Portsmouth E/1/2; 7th

Lapped the field 2 1/2 times but at the same time I didn't quite have the tactics right.  Although I initiated a lot of breaks, I could have been move savvy with my racing.  Some very strong riders out too.  All part of the learning process but a shame not to come away with more.

Barcombe 2/3; 10th

Two riders attacked straight after the neutralised zone and stayed away for the entire race; something that is very, very rare in cycling.  After hearing the time gaps after the first lap, I looked to attack which was not in my original game plan but I felt was necessary to get the win.  After riding for a lap with Todd Leckie who rode unbelievably fast, Todd decided to drop to the bunch while I continued, gambling for the win.  I got caught with about 2 miles to go after getting spotted by a group at the bottom of a long climb and then being brought back.  I ended up finishing at the back of this group after riding with a average HR of 168 for the 2hrs 45 min race and being out alone for well over 40 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment